Liverpool school for the Indigent Blind

X Clear filter


photography of the School

Hardman Street building sold to Liverpool Corporation and became Police Headquarters and later the Merseyside Trade Union Community and Unemployed Resource Centre.


Writing in a lined notebook in blue ink

Both Wavertree and Hardman Street schools are evacuated to Rhyl just prior to the Blitz in Liverpool.


Relief showing hands reading braille on the side of the School's extension.

Chapel demolished and replaced by an extension to school which housed the school shop. This relief, showing hands reading Braille, was added the extension. Others show the brushes and woven baskets produced by residents.  Photo by Anna Fairley Nielsson.


Image shows slightly overexposed black and white photograph of a large Victorian building, with a sweeping drive surrounded by flowerbeds.

A children’s school building is constructed in Wavertree (where the school resides today).


Painting shows the Hardman Street site including the chapel with Doric columns and a carriage passing along the street in front of the building.

School displaced as a result of extension of Lime Street Station and is provided with railway owned land on Hardman Street.  London Road school building is demolished but the chapel is moved piece by piece to the Hardman Street site.


Line drawing of the School for the Blind dedicated to the Earlof Wilton

School moves to nearby London Road into a purpose built school building.


In the three years from 1798 ‘Egyptian opthalamia’ hospitalised whole regiments of British and French soldiers during Napoleon’s Egyptian campaign. It was the beginning of opthalmology becoming a far more respected profession. Those affected by blindness while fighting overseas were eligible for financial support from the State.