All collections

School extension 1931

The School extension, faced in Portland Stone and with reliefs showing reading braille and brushmaking.

Collections data for "School extension 1931"
Date of Creation


Extent of the Unit of Description


Level of description



This is a photograph of the school extension from 1931. Originally the school chapel stood on the site however with increasing costs and dwindling numbers of worshippers it was decided that the chapel would be demolished and an extension for the school built in its place.

It was designed by Anthony Minoprio and Hugh Spencely, is faced with Portland stone and contains sculptured panels by John Skeaping which depict life at the school such as reading Braille and brush-making.

The extension housed a shop, offices, workrooms for girls, rooms for domestic training and recreation rooms. The photograph is the only example we have where the extension is in the process of being built-notice the hoardings are still in place.

Search for another collection item

Other items in this collection