Our project ran from 2016 – January 2019 with these ingredients:
- Our project workers and archivist worked alongside numerous volunteers in Bristol, Liverpool and London & the South East to dig out the histories of eight locations associated with deaf and disabled people.
- We blogged our discoveries and turned them into stories which show many of the documents and pictures we found in the archives.
- We ran workshops with all sorts of partners – from art workshops at Stoke Mandeville to medieval art workshops at the Canterbury Pageant.
- Our newsletter kept people up to date – sign up at the bottom of this page for future developments.
- We ran displays and exhibitions at major museums about our discoveries. These were at MShed in Bristol, the Museum of Liverpool and the V&A in London.
- We also created games and other digital resources now available in our multimedia section.
- We have written two toolkits on digital exhibitions and engaging young deaf and disabled people with heritage.
- History of Place was part of the wider Accentuate project – you can read about its work here.