The Guild closed its building in 1987, having become much smaller due to changing times and attitudes. In the aftermath it was intially used as a Council office – then from 2011 it was regenerated and is now occupied by the NSPCC.
The Guild’s Grace Kimmins set up a programme of ‘educative convalescence for 24,000 soldiers who had lost limbs in the First World War. They spent time with disabled children to pick up the skills they would need to adapt.
An epidemic of ‘sleepy sickness’ sweeps Europe and the US beginning in 1916 and lasting until 1927. It leaves behind a variety of post-encephalitic symptoms. Some of those affected in Bristol become part of the Guild.