All collections

Leather bound Act of Parliament, 1829

An Act formally founded the School, some decades after it was first created. George IV started a tradition of royal patronage.

Collections data for "Leather bound Act of Parliament, 1829"
Date of Creation


Extent of the Unit of Description

leather book

Level of description



Although the school was founded in 1791 it was in 1829 that an Act for establishing and governing the school ‘for the indigent blind’ was introduced.

The Act states that over 100 students attended the school and they were taught a means of providing their own support. The Act is bound in leather and is within the school archive. The school also has a Royal Patron. In September 1806 the Prince of Wales, later George IV, visited Liverpool and the school. It is reported that he examined the students craft work, listened to the students sing the Hallelujah Chorus before accepting the request to become its Royal Patron. The school continues to have Royal Patronage today.

Search for another collection item

Other items in this collection