Project stories

Come with us on a journey to the eight places we are exploring, and the personalities associated with them – from people who lived at Maison Dieu in the 13th century, to St Saviour’s Deaf church and innovative 1970s housing. Images, quotations and sounds come together to recreate 800 years of ideas and societies.

Afterlife of a grand Victorian institution

The School for the Blind in Liverpool occupied grand premises on Hardman Street from 1851 until it moved wholly to its other site at Wavertree in 1958. These photographs capture the building’s heyday, fall into disrepair and eventual regeneration.

History of Place

An extract of writing about medieval almshouses from the Canterbury archives

The History of Place project visits eight locations across the country, over eight hundred years to rediscover the lives, pictures and stories of some of these people.

Maison Dieu

Maison Dieu, 1941

Maison Dieu (‘House of God’) is one of a handful of remarkable survivals which stand at the beginning of our story of deaf and disabled people through history.

The Guild of the Brave

The Bristol Guild was one of the earliest examples of a supportive community of deaf and disabled people, which was able to fundraise for its own landmark building, which opened in 1913. The Guild itself lasted for nearly 100 years. Find out about the early years in quotes and pictures.